Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What advice do you have for High School Junior year?

I'm currently a Sophomore.What advice do you have for High School Junior year?
Junior Year is that year you need to prepare for a bunch of things.


It's not so easy, but it really depends on your classes and all.


As someone mentioned before take honors classes and if you can handle it AP classes as well. Don't take too many AP classes though. You really don't want to do that to yourself unless it comes very easy to you. But AP classes (they are an advantage to getting college credits if you pass the AP exam) cost money. If you pass the exam for AP (It costs nearly 80 dollars or so. I am not sure how it is where you live and in your school but I would think somewhere around that cost. Almost at the end of the school year, before finals I am sure someone will come into your class and talk about AP.)





Anyways so if you want to try a challenge. You can take an AP English or History or whatever. I am sure in your school you have to take the PSAT's as well Junior Year. They aren't going to effect anything. If you get over 2000 I believe it was it'll be a great advantage since I think colleges would offer scholarships. But anyways. I advise you to take the SAT's next year when you're a Junior. You don't want to wait til Senior year to only take them once. If you take it Junior year, you can see how the test is like and if you're not too satisfied with your score you can take them Senior Year. Usually people do a lot better there second time around. But it's up to you.


If you decide to take them Junior Year. It depends when they have it at your school. But I am sure it's like in November, March, May and June maybe? I can't remember but there are many times you can take them. They do cost money though unfortunately. But if you also take them Senior year take them the earlier which is the better. So that you can apply to colleges.


Junior Year is where you want to start thinking about Colleges. What's at your best interest and what interests you more than anything else. You DON'T have to know what you want to be at this point or next year or not even Senior year. I know a bunch of people who went to College thinking they want to do this, but by the end of it they end up choosing something different. So don't worry.


You also have a Junior Paper near the end of the year. It's based on what your English teacher will do with it and when it'll be due. Maybe around April. For Senior Year, you have a Senior Paper as well. But that's another topic. I am not sure about Junior speeches. I think that's just only for Senior year. I am not sure. But yeah Junior year isn't as different as Sophomore year. You don't have anything to worry about. You can take SAT's during Sophomore year if you want. I know a kid who did and he did very well. Lucky him neh? ^.^





But yeah sorry for this very long explanation. I wish you good luck and you have nothing to worry about~What advice do you have for High School Junior year?
1- Get a B- or above in EVERY CLASS. I was so dumb my first two years of HS...if you actually do the work teachers will almost always give you a B. I got my GPA up from a 2.23 to a 3.0 with my junior/senior year grades. (unweighted)


2- Study for your SATS. SATs have tons of questions that ask the same things. By getting a tutor or going to a class you can score a lot higher than you would by just going into it blind. I got a 1940 on mine.


3- Start looking at schools. It's never too early. If i had to do one thing over again, I would have taken a closer look at a lot more schools





Good luck man, it's never too late, I was going nowhere my sophmore year and now i'm going to a really prestigious school (WPI if you've heard of it)
its the best year of high school. have fun, study hard because its also the year colleges look at most. and focus on what colleges your going to be applying to and what you need to do to prepare for that
Take as many honors and AP classes as you can handle. Get the highest grades you can. This is a year to really study.





start checking into college too.

No comments:

Post a Comment