Thursday, July 29, 2010

I am starting IVF soon, we have an introduction meeting next week. If any of you have any good advice?

I have read so much about it but I think I need practical info from someone who has been through the process and understands the stress (or not!) involved, for example diet and exercise, sex, how many people did you tell? Any information would be very gratefully received. :-)I am starting IVF soon, we have an introduction meeting next week. If any of you have any good advice?
I went through IVF about 16 months ago, I didn't find it stressfull at all [but I usually do just 'get on with things']. The first injections you have to supress your natural cycle did not have any side effects with me and I felt completely normal, the second set with make you produce more eggs made my ovaries ache [which is understandable because they end up about 4 times their normal size] apart from that, again I felt normal. The worst bit for me was the egg collection - I was sedated [not anethetised] I felt quite sleepy before they began, but, my God, did I wake up when they started collecting the eggs - it was painful! Fortunately it only lasted about 15 minutes and the pain subsided as soon as they had finished proddling around up there! I had 18 eggs collected [14 of them were immature and could not be used, 4 were mature and 2 of them fertilized] The embryo transfer is very quick, you're only on the table for around 5 minutes and was only slightly uncomfortable. Sadly for me, it didn't work, but I am thinking about trying it again in the next few months.





As for diet and exercise - eat healthily and exercise as and when you feel like it - the only time I didn't was when my ovaries were aching and it felt like if I excercised they would pop! [I'm sure they wouldn't really] The Doctor will tell you if and when you can have sex - there is certainly some parts of the procedure where you definately can't have sex, just in case you concieve naturally [always a chance].





You don't say why you need IVF, but if it is a problem with the man and not the woman, IVF has more chance of working. I had to have IVF because of my boyfriends low sperm count, we did concieve naturally once, but had a miscarriage. Since the failed IVF we have been trying naturally again, but so far, nothing, hence contemplating IVF again. Good luck, let us know how you get on x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment