Saturday, July 31, 2010

I just bought a sun conure, any helpful advice you can give me?

What foods do they like best?


Know of any good training techniques?I just bought a sun conure, any helpful advice you can give me?
So, how are you handling the screaming? All the sun conures I have ever heard of scream at dawn and dusk. Can't be trained out of it either, it is instinctive behavior. Any trouble?


I went to school (to be a Vet Tech) that kept one to learn with. You could hear him scream in the parking lot, across the soccer field, over 12 barking dogs that were also there for training purposes.


His name is Mytie. As in Mytie LOUD. He's sweet though.


He loves cheese. The little ';baby bel'; round cheeses in the red wax. Loves it!!


He has pellets in his dish all the time, for when ever he gets hungry. Morning and evening, he gets fruit and vegetables. Fresh or frozen (then thawed) peas, carrots, corn (get the vegetable medley in the freezer section, saves work and they love it), broccoli was another of his faves.


Birds can take a while to learn, so be patient and consistent. Reward the behavior you want and ignore everything else. Offer lots of toys and activities, they are very smart and get bored easy.





On a side note, I just tried ';Poop Off';. It is specially designed for cleaning up after birds and I couldn't be happier with it. I found it for sale at flightsuits.com. Yeah, they sell diaper like things, you might want to look into that too.


Good Luck.I just bought a sun conure, any helpful advice you can give me?
You bought a parrot without knowing those answers already?


Owning a bird like that is a major undertaking and only those who have the good sense to check them out totally then make the decision to buy one or not?


I'm surprised the seller didn't at least tell you all that along with giving you a book on those type of parrots.


Plenty of books in local library or a GOOD pet store.


Get informed now.
the important thing they are very noisy and can upset the neighbours.did you NOT read about them before you purchased.


people ANNOY me that go out and buy a pet but have not a clue how to care for them.
delightful bird altho a little loud sometimes, they like seeds, fruits and vegetables, as far as training, get a good book on conures at your pet shop
They love attention, Play with with and handle him every day, Mine loves the cheap black sunflower seeds, and almost any type of fresh fruit. GL, You bought a wonderful companion.
I have a sun and as you know by now they can be very loud. When mine gets particularly loud - it means she wants her cage cleaned. It may not look that dirty - but she is sensative to smells.





Also, I make sure i handle her for at least 1 hour a day - which is not that much. Usually I take her out several times a day for anywhere from 5 mins to an hour.





I plan on getting her a play gym with perches and ladders -


http://www.angelfire.com/ak4/birds/wstan鈥?/a>





And I do get her wings clipped so she will bond with me and not be too independant. I also have got her beak filed back when it gets too sharp. She is due for a beak filing now. Because they do bite and you don't want them to draw blood - it really can hurt.


Never hit your bird if she does bite you really hard - you could hurt her feelings and she might never trust you again.





Read lots of books and talk to other bird owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment