Monday, August 23, 2010

Anyone have any sound advice on moving to okinawa and taking your 90 lbs german shepherd with you?

I understand all the official stuff (rabies records, micro chipping, FAVN, etc.) but I'm kinda iffy about physically taking him from my house to the airport, finding a pet-friendly hotel (if need be), getting to Okinawa (does he go to a kennel right off the bat?). Does anyone have any experience with this? If so please feel free to lend me some advice.Anyone have any sound advice on moving to okinawa and taking your 90 lbs german shepherd with you?
Hi there,





I do have some advice that might assist you. Although it has been quite some time since we lived on Okinawa, I tend to think that the information is probably current. We did travel there with our Siberan Husky in tow. Besides the official stuff, he did have to go into a kennel quarantine for some time. I do not recall exactly how long, but about 30 days comes to mind. However, I think the length of the stay had something to do with how long before travel to Okinawa that he had his vaccinations.





Kadena Air Force base had/has a facility that we put our dog into, it is located just outside the back gate. Once he was out of quarantine, we brought him to a pet friendly lodge called the Hamagawa Lodge, which is located right outside the front gate of Kadena Air Force Base and right near Camp Lester.





Do you have a sponsor on the island yet? I still have a couple of friends who live there and probably could help retrieve information to you regarding the kennl, quarantine and such. I envy you. I absolutely love and miss Okinawa. Your dog should do just fine with the transition. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you need any further help or have any other questions, relating to pets, etc..





Best of luck to you,


Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment