Thursday, August 19, 2010

Can you give a singel dad some advice?

My son is six years old and he stays with his mom and me part time.Me and His Mom have been divorced six years since then she has been married 2 times and know has a live in boy friend now for about six weeks.My son is starting to call him dad and the man plays a strong disciplianry roll already.Do think this is ok?I am not crazy about it.I know he loves me and he knows that I am his father.I have talked to his mother about it and she doesnt think that it is a bad thing.Is it wrong to correct my son when he calls him dad or should I let it go and hope for the best. Help a confused DAD.Can you give a singel dad some advice?
I'm very sorry. I know it hurts, but please understand. He is only 6. You never said anything bad about the other man, so I don't think hes a rotten guy. It sounds like your son is attached to him and cares about him. Its good that when you cant be there...that there is someone with him that cares for him like a son.


Way to many step children are treated poorly.Some step fathers just dont care at all if children misbehave. The men feel like its not their problem if the kids grow up doing bad in school, or getting into trouble, and you can't be in both places at once. As long as this man is being fair and not beating him or anything...he sounds like he has your sons best intrest in mind. Isnt that what any birth parent hopes for?





As far as calling him Dad, I just called a birth dad and asked what he did. He said that when your young son is talking to you, and calls this man Dad...look at him very confused like your trying to figure out who he is talking about.then say ';oh, you mean Bob';(replace with the mans name) Not in a mean way, but to remind him of the names to use and with whom to use them with. He said that sometimes there are slips, but please don't let it get to you. Over time, your son will see when he slips on his own and correct himself.





Maybe someday, you will meet a wonderful woman, marry, and your son will love her. He just might honor with the most wonderful gift a child can give her....calling her Mom.Can you give a singel dad some advice?
Does he MAKE your son call him dad? Kids are very loyal creatures. If your son is being forced to do things against his will, then take him to a child psychologist who can help or at least document it. My ex forces my daughter to call him dad or she cant eat. Luckily he only sees her once a year .... but she will grow up hating him. She already does unfortunately. Sometimes kids will do that willingly to test YOUR love for them. Try talking to your son about your feelings on it.
I completely agree with mom of 3. Talk to them and your son, keep in touch all the time, and make sure he calls you “dad”. Your son is just trying to have a normal life. That is why he is doing this, is perfectly normal. But don’t let it get extended any more.
Hello, I am separated about five years ago and i know its tought. But I belive you should stand up for what you feel is right. This other man is not the father of your boy, and you need to tell your boy that! Maybe he dosn´t no and he try to say dad to this man and se if its right. My children never called my new husband dad, and they dont need to do that as loong as they have a dad who they see regularely. I as a child also had a new father, but never sew my biological father and i belive every child need somebody to call dad. So that seamed right for a 5 year old to call the man in the house dad. But in your case, try to have your boy 50 % and talk to the mother and her boyfriend about what you feel. You can also talk to your boy and inform him that you are the father and nobody else and the boyfriend is only ';Jim'; or what ever his name is. Children take all information naturally and live after it. The most important thing is to actually inform and talk about everything and not have secrets. Secrets most of the time make life complicated,


and children make up an own story about whats going on.


That will make the child take to much guilt and responsability. Best wiches Mom of three.

No comments:

Post a Comment