Sunday, August 22, 2010

Do you have any good advice for someone with Tinnitus?

I just recently got Tinnitus. I haven't had any noise damage to cause this, yet here I am with it. I am a 30 year old male (young to get Tinnitus). My ENT doctor was worthless. He was happy just to diagnose me and move on to his next patient...Thanks for any practical help from people out there. :(Do you have any good advice for someone with Tinnitus?
I've had tinnitus since about 30 too. My GP was worthless - he even joked about my problem! An audiologist from work diagnosed without me even asking - he was able to detect certain levels of hearing loss and asked some questions.





I'm now 47 and the tinnitus has gotten a little worse, and the hearing problems have gotten much worse. Not much help for the hearing loss except hearing aids (which I'm not ready to get).





Here's what I do to live with my tinnitus situation, since there really is no ';cure.';





1. Wear hearing protection (foam plugs work great, they're mostly invisible %26amp; cheap) when mowing grass, at loud hockey games, using chain saw, etc. This REALLY helps.





2. Limit the drugs I take. Illegals are a definite no-no, as well as all NSAIDs (ibuprofen, aspirin and some other prescription drugs.





3. Keeping a quiet radio on in the background sometimes helps - dead silence isn't great.





4. Learn to concentrate on other thoughts. I do this without even thinking, but the tinnitus really drove me bonkers early on.





There are literally thousands of ways people treat their tinnitus - nobody reacts the same to each treatment. Beware of those offering pills or cures - unless you have a medical condition, ';it really is in your head!';





I just end up not letting it get the best of me, although sometimes it really irritates me - still.





Hope this helps.





Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment